Here’s a nice burrito for you. Slowly barbecued chuck steak with a spicy homemade rub served in a tortilla bread with roasted cherry tomatoes, sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro leaves. Exploding with flavours and juicy as if there where no tomorrow!
Read more …
Chuck steak with hoisin and sesame glaze
Ok, it’s been a while. This time of the year you don’t get many chances to barbecue. And afterall, I live in rainy Sweden. But here’s a damn good one! It’s an asian inspired beef chuck steak at it’s best. Tender as hell and exploding with flavours.
INGREDIENTS (~4 servings)
- 1 tbsp Dried Cilantro Powder
- 1 tbsp Cayenne Pepper Powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1.5 cup (ca 3.5 dl) Hoisin Sauce
- 1/4 cup Roasted Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 Lime
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 inch Dried Bitter Orange Peel
- 1.8 lb (ca 800 g) Chuck Steak
PREPARING THE GLAZE
- Put hoisin sauce, juice of 1/2 lime, garlic, brown sugar and the bitter orange peel in a small saucepan.
- Let it come to a boil and quickly remove it from the stove.
- Then let the glaze rest for a while before removing the bitter orange peel and the rest of the garlic.
- Add the roasted sesame seeds. If you only find unroasted sesame seeds, put them in a dry pan and roast until they get a nice brown color.
- Stir gently.
PREPARING THE RUB
- Put dried cilantro, cayenne pepper, cumin powder and salt in a bowl.
- Mix well.
PREPARING THE MEAT
- Rub the chuck steak with the spicy rub mix.
- Put the steak on the grill and cook on low heat for about 4 hours. Aim for about 250°F (or ca 120°C).
- Brush the steak with the glaze now and then. Use about half of the glaze for brushing the steak while grilling and keep the rest of the glaze for serving. I grilled the meat for 1 hour before started brushing the meat with the glaze.
- Remove the steak after about 4 hours on the grill.
- Slice the steak into thin slices and drizzle the rest of the glaze on the meat.
Serve with rice or noodles and vegetables of your choice, for example a fresh salad or stir-fried mixed vegetables. Enjoy!
Cilantro and lime sauce
Delicious with grilled fish or as a dip with a good freshly baked bread.
- 1/2 cup virgin olive oil
- 1 lime
- A handful of fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 pinches of sea salt
- Squeeze out the juice from the lime into a small bowl.
- Chop cilantro.
- Put cilantro and rest of the ingredients in the bowl with the lime juice and mix with a fork.